Connecting to a PostgreSQL database from Altair SLC on Windows
If you have data stored in a PostgreSQL database, you can connect by installing the PostgreSQL command line tools. To install the client, you need to:
- Download and install the PostgreSQL installer (.msi) file from the PostgreSQL Database Download page.
Make sure you select the correct installer to match the 64-bit Altair SLC installation.
- On the same device as Altair SLC is installed, run the PostgreSQL installer (.msi).
- Under the Select Components page, ensure that only Command Line Tools is selected.
- Add the PostgreSQL bin folder containing files lib*.dll's to the system PATH variable, for example
C:\Program Files\ PostgreSQL version\bin where version
is the version of the PostgreSQL installer you have downloaded. The procedure is as follows:
- In the Windows Control Panel select System or Security. Select System and click Advanced System Settings.
- In the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
- Select the PATH entry in the System Variables and then click Edit.
- In the Edit environment variable dialog box, click New and enter the installation folder path.
- Click OK to save the changes, and close the remaining system and security dialogs by clicking OK each time.
Once the command line tools have been installed, test the database connectivity with the following SAS language program:
LIBNAME DATASRC POSTGRESQL USER=user-name PASSWORD=password
PROC DATASETS LIBRARY=DATASRC;
- In the LIBNAME statement, replace user-name and password with your user name and password for the remote-id server, and replace dbase with the name of the PostgreSQL database.
- The DATASETS procedure returns the names of all tables in the selected database; for databases with large numbers of tables, this program might take some time to run.