Units System in SimLab
SimLab introduces a unit system that will allow users to work in a unit system they desire. The introduction of a unit system should not disrupt current users from what they are currently used to.
How to use Unit System in SimLab:
- Unit system is turned ON with MMKS (mm kg N C s)” by default while creating a new database.
- Users can manually change the units or turn OFF the units, from the controls at the bottom right corner of the application.
- Users can also set the default modeling units using “Enable units for new database” in File > Preferences > Applications > Options. Or turn OFF this toggle to make the unit system OFF by default while creating a new database.
- When the unit system is ON, all dialogs will show the values with corresponding units, based on the display unit system.
- If the user enters values with units, the entered value will be automatically converted into display units.
The following rules apply for using Unit System in SimLab:
- There are two modes of using SimLab with the unit system, On or OFF. The users should not mix these two modes when working in SimLab.
- When the unit system is OFF, then the working behavior will be the same as the SimLab versions without unit system support.
- There should be no mix-up between unit system ON/OFF while working. Database and scripts created with the unit system off should be used only with SimLab with the unit system off.
- When we start SimLab with an empty database, you will see the option to use or not to use the Unit system. Once you import a model or create a model (the database is not empty anymore), the Units option will be frozen. This means the user cannot ON/OFF the unit system in between the modeling process.
- The unit system information will be stored in the database while saving. So, when the database is opened again, the unit system will be enabled and set automatically.
- Opening a database without units, we will turn off the unit system and freeze.
- When the option “Enable units for new database” from in File > Preferences > Applications > Options is turned OFF, then the settings of the unit system will be remembered from the database which is closed finally. When we launch SimLab again, those unit settings will be remembered and set automatically.
- Unit settings can differ between the databases. When switching databases, the unit system in the current database will be updated and set.
- The scripts created using the unit system will have the current display unit recorded. This recording will happen when SimLab started with an empty database and the unit system is turned ON/OFF.