Time History: How to specify ASCII format and separate time history file

Radioss proposes different formats for time history files (T-file ‘RunnaleTnn’); default one is binary (IEEE 32-bit). The article below describes how to specify ASCII format and how to define it for a separate time history file. Generating different time history file can also be useful to separate specific results from standard outputs (e.g. output forces of all the connectors of a given vehicle).

T-file formats

Formats for Time History files is defined using Type parameter.

If you want to specify ASCII (text) format then select Type = 3 (corresponding to /TFILE/3 in Engine file).

Une image contenant texteDescription générée automatiquement

That way all TH outputs will be written in the T01 file, in ASCII format.

NB ASCII output formats (types 2 and 3) are not documented; Altair recommends to use binary default format.

Additional Time History file

As mentioned above, if one is using Type = 3 in TFILE command, then all TH outputs will be written in ASCII format (including global TH outputs).

So, one may want alternately to write only a selection of TH outputs in ASCII format, let say a nodal output and an interface output.

In this case, following setting can be used

1. Keep other starter /TH keywords corresponding to other outputs and existing engine /TFILE keyword
  2. In the starter, instead of /TH/NODE, define /ATH/NODE for the nodal output that needs to be written in ascii format and define /ATH/INTER instead of /TH/INTER for the interface output
  3. add engine command /ATFILE/3 to the engine file (with the desired time frequency; it can be different from the one specified in /TFILE)

Une image contenant texteDescription générée automatiquement

Like that, one will get

More generally, one can define additional time history files named RunnameTnnx (with x= A to I). Their contents is defined through the option /xTH (where x= A to I). The frequency and the type of output for the additional time history files are defined using /xTHFILE (where x = A to I).

For more information about the different tools, please refer to the help page below

https://2022.help.altair.com/2022.1/hwsolvers/rad/topics/solvers/rad/tfile_engine_r.htm

https://2022.help.altair.com/2022.1/hwsolvers/rad/topics/solvers/rad/atfile_engine_r.htm