Install Altair Software in Different Drive Locations
If installing executable software files on a secondary or external drive, you may want to create a “Program Files” folder like on your “C,” “D,” or “E” drive.
You can install the software in these folders. While this is not necessary, it is good housekeeping practice.
For a more detailed overview of this process with pictures refer to the pdf attached to this article.
Pre-Requisite: You must first request a free Student Edition download by filling out the form located at https://studentedition.altair.com/. Once you have submitted the form and your request has been approved, you will receive an email with the subject line "Altair Student Edition License File" that contains a download link.
- Open the email with the subject line "Altair Student Edition License File" and select the software you wish to download and install.
- In the Save As dialog, navigate to the drive you wish to save installer.
- Follow the prompts in the dialogs that appear to begin the installation process.
- In the License Agreement dialog, accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next.
- In the Choose Install Folder dialog, Where Would You Like to Install field, select the pathname to the location where you wish to install the software and click Next. Note: You can change the drive location via this setting.
- Complete the installation process.
- Ensure the license file is stored in the altair_installation_directory/security folder. The license file is referenced each time you open the software to verify that you are using a valid license, therefore it is important that the license file is stored in a folder that will not be moved or changed. The software automatically checks the security folder for the license file, and as long as it is named correctly you will not run into any lookup issues.